A Skeptic’s Guide to Injectable Treatments
If you are curious but skeptical about neuromodulator (anti-wrinkle, tox, Botox®) or hyaluronic acid (dermal filler) injections, you are not alone. Even as their popularity grows, many people remain unsure or even fearful about injectable treatments. Some have heard a horror story or know someone whose face seems frozen. Some worry about looking fake, having seen pictures online of celebrities who’ve gone to the extreme. A combination of misconceptions, high-pressure upsell tactics and unqualified providers reinforce much of the concern we hear from injectable treatment skeptics.
While injectable treatments may not ultimately be for you, we think you should be educated and empowered to make your own choice, without pressure. Read on for information and guidance from our highly trained and experienced aesthetic injectors.
1. Find Trusted and Highly Educated Injectors
The most important part of receiving safe and effective aesthetic treatments is working with providers who are properly trained. Clients who receive injectable services from reputable aesthetic injectors are overwhelmingly pleased with their results. A properly trained provider will do a thorough assessment of your medical
history and facial anatomy to ensure you are a good candidate and your goals are realistic and attainable. They will discuss your questions and concerns. Complications are extremely rare, and their occurrence is mitigated by the training and experience of a high-quality, skilled provider.
A strong background in science and medicine is essential when receiving injectable treatments, so we prioritize experience and education in our team:
- Nurses and Physicians Assistants with impeccable records and combined decades of healthcare experience
- Service-specific training that is highly technical and designed for higher experience levels
- Continued education, certification and training on new methods, best practices and applied science
2. Know Your Goals and Be Informed About Options
There are different types of injections that address a variety of concerns and enhancements. Neurotoxin injections, such as Botox, are used to soften fine lines and wrinkles by relaxing the muscles that pull on your skin. Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers address loss of facial volume and muscle structure for a more hydrated and youthful appearance. These injections are often used to enhance or restore volume in the lips and cheeks. Here’s a breakdown on what you should expect before, during, and after each service:
- Pre-Care: Avoid ibuprofen/blood thinners for a week leading up to your service. Avoid alcohol for 24 hours prior to service. Begin applying OTC Arnica gel 5 days prior to treatment.
- Appointment Duration: Your first appointment will include a thorough consultation and last 30 to 45 minutes. Follow ups are typically less than 20 minutes.
- Experience: Small injections are made just under the skin. Feels like a bug bite. Minimal swelling and pain may occur, but typically are resolved by the end of the appointment.
- Post-Care: Contract and release the treated muscles every few minutes over the first hour. Avoid the sun, excessive exercise and sweating, laying on your face, and wearing hats/sunglasses for at least 4 hours. Avoid massaging the face and any other direct pressure on injection sites.
- Results: Expect the full effect by week 2. You may have a follow-up appointment for assessment and touch-up. Results last 3-4 months. Deep wrinkles may take multiple treatments.
Hyaluronic Acid Fillers
Pre-Care: Begin Arnica pills or gel 5 days before your procedure. Avoid taking Advil, Aspirin, Vitamin E, Ginger, Gingko Biloba, Ginseng, Fish Oil, and Garlic for five days prior to your treatment; they may increase the risk of bruising.
- Appointment Duration: Your first appointment will last approximately one hour. Follow up treatments will vary depending on your service.
- Experience: Because fillers involve deeper injections, you may experience a sensation of pressure or pain. We apply numbing cream for lip injections and tailor all filler treatments to pain tolerance/concerns of patients. Initial swelling may last from 48 hours to 2 weeks
- Post-Care: Avoid strenuous activity for 2 days. Do not apply makeup for 12-24 hours. Gently applying a cold compress to the treatment site may be recommended.
- Results: Results are visible immediately, but include natural swelling. Your final result is seen when the swelling completely resolves, at around two weeks. Results can last up to a year or more.
3. Learn More From Someone You Trust
Avoid high-pressure sales situations and internet misinformation by talking to a trained professional who respects your choices. They will listen to and discuss your individual goals and concerns, and recommend the best treatment for you, which may include injectables, microneedling, laser treatments, chemical peels, or PRP facials, to name a few.
Schedule a consultation! Your injector will listen attentively and take time to educate you on your options
- Be open about your goals and concerns so your injector can provide appropriate and thorough guidance
- Trust your gut and do what feels comfortable for you
Find What Feels Best to You at Vi Beauty Lab
A good provider takes their practice seriously and will never pressure you into any service. At Vi Beauty, our injection collaborative includes a physician assistant, two registered nurses, and a physician medical director. They have strong medical backgrounds, decades of healthcare experience, and extensive local, national, and international training on facial anatomy and neuromodulator/dermal filler injections. They are eager to share their knowledge and help you can find the right service for you. Our skilled team of aesthetic injectors will take your concerns to heart and provide a variety of nonsurgical options to achieve your skin goals – even if you decide you’re not quite ready to try neuromodulator or hyaluronic acid injections.
We’re here to educate and empower you. You can find service descriptions, pre and post care instructions, and other valuable information on our website. If you have more questions about injectable treatments or would like to schedule a consult, feel free to reach out via email or DM, stop by our Wayzata location, or give us a call at (612) 299-1221. If you’re ready to try something new, schedule your service at Vi Beauty Lab online.